robyn137a_Frame100Robyn_BusinesscardContact Me_small
Child Support | Alimony | Child Custody | Child Visitation | Property Division | Child Support Modifications | Alimony Modifications
Separation Agreement | Prenuptial Agreement | Guardianship | Adoption | MA Alimony FAQs
Mass Alimony Statute

Massachusetts Alimony Modification


In Massachusetts, you can file for a modification of Alimony by way of motion on an open case or by way of complaint for modification after a case has gone to judgement. In order to obtain a modification it must be shown by the plaintiff that a material change in circumstance has occurred since the last order or judgement.

Alimony modification may be pursued in certain circumstances if any of the following apply:
  • Cohabitation
  • Retirement that causes a significant drop in income. However early retirement wouldn't necessarily trigger a reduction in Alimony
  • Death of either party
  • Spouse receiving alimony remarries
In the event that the payor is unable to meet his child support or alimony order, the court has the authority to require the payor to use his second spouse's income and assets to satisfy these existing orders.
Alimony Modification Video

Agreements or Judgements that will not be modified by the court
  • Division of marital assets including property as part of a divorce agreement or judgement
    • unless fraud is discovered or failure to divide all marital assets is discovered within one year of the agreement or judgment
  • Payor's reduced income as a result of a voluntary choice of employment at reduced levels.

Our Boston lawyers and attorneys are experienced in all areas of alimony and its modification. Call attorney Robyn A. Briatico at 617-387-6800 to schedule your free 20 minute phone consult.